For those who haven’t seen this before, every new year I take some time to reflect on the past year and take note of some of the major things that happened. I do this for several reasons:
1) To keep a list for myself of things worth remembering
2) As sort of a “Christmas letter” to people I care about
3) To give myself perspective on my accomplishments and short comings to be learned from
Plans for 2010: (based on last years predictions)
- Moving down to VA for work
- Rugby tour around the UK in the Spring
- Wedding in Florida (with vacation?)
- Graduate from grad school
well, I did everything but graduate from grad school. (work got in the way of that)
2010 detailed (in general order)
- Met up with an old friend I haven’t seen in 20 years.
- Moved to Arlington, VA
- Got stuck on 495 during snow-pocalypse
- Took my niece snowboarding
- Scotland/Ireland for 6 nations rugby
- joined a new rugby team
- Got a girlfriend
- Wedding in Florida
- Went swimming in the gulf
- kayaking on the Potomac river
- Graduated rotation program at work
- Got a tour of Cheyenne Mt.
- white water rafting in WV
- Wrote a Firefox extension
- Took on some crazy job assignments this year.
- Did some crazy hikes and runs.
- Got done a few more grad classes (slow and steady)
- spent a decent amount of timing running between NYC, Philly, MD and VA.
- Lost a good friend and mentor: Marshall Sturm.
- Moved back to King of Prussia. (temporary while I wait to move to MD)
- Built a pretty cool cryptex puzzle box for my brother.
Plans for 2011
- Moving down to MD permanently
- Graduating from Grad school
- Rugby World Cup in NZ
This year was a lot different from the past couple I’ve had. I spent less time trying to accomplish “big” things and spent a lot more time exploring, learning and experiencing. In many ways, it was also a very chaotic year as a moved twice, took grad classes long distance, changed work assignments 4 times and drove all over the place.
2011 is shaping up to be very different. In a few months I’ll get a promotion and will move down to MD. Shortly after that I will finish my graduate degree. At that point, a new chapter in my life will begin. For a while I was thinking about doing a 2nd masters right away. But I think I’m going to take some time to enjoy life and work on some of projects I’ve been meaning to do. So the 2nd half of 2011 is looking to be very exciting and I can’t wait to see what happens!!
my kit for the Scotland/Ireland trip in March
“This is your captain speaking. I would like to remind the gentleman in the back that we have zero tolerance on this flight”
Edinburgh castle in Scotland
haggis tasting in Scotland
we also had fun in Northern Ireland.
moving to DC…
Hiking and running in DC
played some rugby in the Spring
wedding in Flordia
trip to Colorado for work.
Some of the awesome food I tried this year.
Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh.